Program Assistant (14-30 hours/week - Young Canada Works position)
If you are outgoing, flexible, self-directed, and have an interest community engagement join us at the High River Library. High River Library provides a variety of services to residents of High River and the surrounding area. The Program Assistant plans and delivers programming as well as assisting with a range of other library projects.
High River is a beautiful small community (population 14,052) in southern Alberta located 68 kilometres south of Calgary and less than an hour east of the Rocky Mountains. The town is rich in arts and culture. Notable residents have included the writer, W.O. Mitchell and former Prime Minister Joe Clark. High River has small town friendliness, a historic downtown, beautiful parks and trails and festivals and events throughout the year. Visit the Town’s website at: highriver.ca
Duties and Responsibilities
- To develop activity plans (online and in-person) and schedules for various age groups;
- To provide an opportunity for residents to be involved in learning to keep them engaged in various literacies;
- To organize imaginative weekly displays;
- To partner with schools or other groups;
- To participate in community outreach or attend events on behalf of the library;
- To develop promotional materials, including updating the library’s website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other accounts;
- To report statistics and submit evaluations;
- To design surveys or other outcome assessment measures;
- To analyze patron experiences and assist with the library’s strategic plan;
- To research fundraising opportunities;
- To perform other duties as assigned.
- A background in Library and Information Studies, Elementary or Secondary Education, Early Childhood Development, Music, Art, or Drama would be an asset.
- Must have attended school full-time in 2019-2020 and be returning to studies full time by fall of 2021;
- Satisfactory background screening including a vulnerable sector criminal record check;
- Must be available to work day, evening, and weekend shifts.
- Work independently and take initiative;
- Have experience in preparing and assessing programs that support learning;
- Feel competent in using new technologies to design and deliver programs;
- Provide excellent customer service;
- Possess effective time management skills.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by October 26, 2020 with a résumé and cover letter. The High River Library is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified candidates including youth with a disability, Aboriginal youth, visible minorities, and new Canadians to apply for the position. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.
Mary Zazelenchuk, Director
High River Library
909 1 St SW
High River, AB T1V 1A5
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.